This blog is about three things I care about: books, basketball and the search for a third thing.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

But it's necessary

Sorry to those who will whisk past this post to move onto other more imaginative and sensible blogs on the Interweb, but I feel it is my duty as an Arizonan to mention the Phoenix Suns. They are now 1-2 and haven't really looked very good this season. They looked great in the first quarter of the opener against the Lakers but fell on their face quickly after. They had good stretches against the Clippers but only won that game because the Clips forgot that Elton Brand can score any time he wants to. I would probably destroy something in the locker room if I were shooting about 80 percent from the field and owning the offensive glass like EB if my teammates didn't find me three out of four times down the floor. Livingston, Mobley, et al. are lucky that he's a nice guy because most players wouldn't stand for it. My point is, the Clippers gave that one away. And then last night against the Jazz (I taped the game but haven't watched it and might not) the Suns apparently blew a late lead and lost. When they don't make shots they can't seem to score and they never seem to be able to stop anybody. I fear that Simmons was right about the Suns in his preview (though it pains me to say it). They are still fun to watch but have a long way to go. The Amare will he-won't he nonsense is what everyone will focus on but it probably doesn't matter unless they can play better. I realize this is doomsday talk three games into the season, but the flow doesn't seem to be there. D'Antoni is screaming from the sidelines to pick up the pace, but too often speeding up hasn't led to better looks or more baskets. I'm sure he has a plan, but if they hit 9-31 from three-point range like against Utah, more possessions isn't going to change much.
As for Amare, I'm sure he will still have a long career and be a great player. But I don't know if the explosiveness of 2004-05 can ever return. If it doesn't, I am glad that I had a single season of force plus grace to remember. For those who didn't get to see it or only know it by rumor, that's what Youtube is for. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home