This blog is about three things I care about: books, basketball and the search for a third thing.

Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Christmas Message

I haven't the creative wherewithal to wow you with haiku, but I do want to wish all of my readers and the world at large a very merry Christmas. It has been a good year for me, and I hope it has been the same for you. I thank my family (and some other people who will soon be my family) for their help in the past year. It shouldn't take a holiday for me to count my blessings, but sometimes that definitely helps. I don't have much else to say except God Bless Us Everyone.
Now on to what you really come here for: quick snippets from my life with little or no context or information included.
I just finished reading The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carre. I had never previously read any le Carre because I feared it would be too "le borious" to follow all of the "le gerdermain" what with the spies, counterspies and countercounterspies. But I was pleasantly surprised and would recommend it for a lazy weekend or if you're snowed in at DIA for a fortnight or so. I have already Netflixed the movie (starring Richard Burton) and will enjoy that soon.
I will now begin reading The Devil's Highway by Luis Alberto Urrea. It is a book written mainly about an incident in 2001 when a group of illegal aliens tried to cross the desert near Yuma and 14 died. It is a book in an ongoing local project called One Book Yuma. Kat thought it was good reading, and I think I'll like it too. Despite what you may have heard about Yuma not being one of the brightest cities in a state already regarded as the dumbest in the union, the title may be One Book Yuma but there is more than one actual book in Yuma. In fact, there are actually stores in Yuma that sell only books. I know, strange but true.
Last night, a certain professional basketball team lost for the first time in 15 games. Even though this team fell in defeat, I think the game was probably the Freedarko-est game of the season and maybe all time. That is until March 17, 2007 when the new-look Nuggets face that team, a tilt which could destroy the scale.
As a holiday treat (and because I'm a bad Christmas Gifter, more like the Christmas Grifter) I am willing to offer the Wiz-That Team game from last night (including 54 from Agent Zero and 42 and 12 from Kid Canada) on high-quality VHS if anyone is interested. I've taped and retaped over with about 100 That Team games on about three tapes and they are kind of wearing out. Therefore, I would not be saddened if I had to part with one of them, and it really is an impressive show. Just put it on mute and bask in the glory. Feel free to leave any offers in the comments. But I won't hold my breath. I understand that my obsession is not shared by others.
Have fun and be safe this Christmas. Much love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home