This blog is about three things I care about: books, basketball and the search for a third thing.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Up to date

David Brent: My only worry is that the powers that be don't come down here and pop their head around the door with their rulebook and go, "Oh, hold on, what's going on here? These people are mucking around, right, whilst getting the job done! They're having a laugh at work with the sword of Damocles hanging over them! Right? This isn't in the rulebook! Who's in charge here?" "Guilty! Get a new rulebook! Alright?"

This quote is an important one to me. Kat has heard me say it so many times that I think she may be reconsidering that whole engagement thing. Actually, the only part I say is "Guilty! Get a new rulebook!" This was uttered regularly yesterday during a shopping excursion in preparation for the wedding. Kat purchased a bangin' (Jonathan Antin voice engage!) wedding dress that should soon be available for viewing on KatFancy, but I don't want to steal her organza thunder. I think the dress is fabulous.
The reason I offered the "rulebook" quote is because the first person I told about the dress shopping was a bit alarmed that I had gone along. I understand the etiquette, but the idea of sitting in the car for that long was ridiculous. Plus, I'll probably have forgotten what it looks like (I already can't remember if it's ivory or cream or which is which) by the relatively big day.
I was forced to do some shopping as well. I purchased a suit that probably costs more than all of the clothes in my closet combined, but it feels great and it looks good. It's charcoal gray. There will be no photos because I want to keep you wanting more. The shoes I bought (just like those O.J. wore!) cost more money than the total monetary value of what I have offered to society during my 25 years on Earth. It's frightening.
In exciting wedding guest news, a national figure who has recently been in the news has repeatedly informed me that he is turning down my wedding invitation and will categorically, unequivocally and absolutely NOT be attending the nuptials, however, I still believe that Mr. Saban will make an appearance. I don't know if that joke really works, but I thought it might be funny so I tried it.
Reading: I just finished Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. I wish I could say that I have the ability to use my unconscious to make incredibly sharp snap judgments, but my gut feelings tend to be incredible failures. Bill Simmons says that this book - and anything that Gladwell has drunkenly scrawled onto a piece of papyrus is life-changing and terrifically important - but personally I don't see it. I don't think consulting Blink will make it any easier for me to select which member of Three's Company is most similar to Allen Iverson. I wish I could, but I don't have the gift.
Listening: I drove home from Phoenix last night and was all over the AM dial trying to find Seahawks-Cowboys. I enjoyed the stentorian voice of Marv Albert teamed with former Cincinnati coach and crybaby Sam Wyche on Westwood One out of a San Francisco station. I also caught some good ole boys out of a San Antonio station lamenting every Jerramy Stevens reception. I also briefly (and this may be unbelievable but it is true) got some of KFAB out of Omaha and could hear a Nebraska basketball game. There was also a lot of mariachi music as there always is.
I got home for the fourth quarter and watched on television. Everyone wants to talk about Romo, whose possible divinity I once considered, but what was really fun was watching Martin Gramatica jump around like a hobbit on ludes. If he had actually put a better block on Jordan Babineaux than the light brushing he provided, I think Romo could have gotten the first down or scored. That is the sort of insight (blaming kickers for the failures of others) that you get only at The Yumanity.
Watching: A certain professional basketball team win five in a row.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home